On this rock I will build my church
“And on this stone I shall build my church, and the gates of hell shall not have power against it.” – Matthew 16:18
“And to thee I shall give the keys of the kingdom of heavens; and whatever thou shalt bind on earth, shall be bound also in heavens; and whatever thou shalt unbind on earth, shall be unbound also in heavens.” – Matthew 16:19
God has given us the key, the kingdom and the power.
Petros is the original Greek version of the name Peter meaning “stone” or “rock”.
The anointing of Peter – an apostle
1. Peter and John went to the temple – Acts 3:1. Jesus was found sitting in the temple courts. –Luke 2:46. He was listening and asking questions. Jesus was teaching at the temple and all the people came early in the morning to hear him at the temple – Luke 21:37,38. Jesus was in the temple every day – Luke 22:53. Day after day they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news in the temple that Jesus is the Christ – Acts 5:42. The temple of the lord was filled with cloud of glory – 2 Chronicles 5:13.
The presence of the Lord
2. It is Jesus’s name and the faith that comes through him that has given this complete healing to him – Acts 3:16. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up, and go. –Acts 3:6
Name of the Lord means the Authority of Jesus.
Then all the people on earth will see that you are called by the name of the lord and they will fear you- Deuteronomy 28:10. Psalm 20:1 says, the name of the God of Jacob will protect us.
Isaiah 62:2 (Promise), “And heathen men shall see thy just man, and all kings shall see thy noble man; and a new name, which the mouth of the Lord named, shall be called to thee”.
3. Acts 4:13 says that, they saw the courage of Peter and John. They were unschooled and ordinary men but filled with the Holy Spirit. Everybody saw that they have done an outstanding miracle, no one can deny it. Everybody living in Jerusalem knows that they have done an outstanding miracle. So they tried to stop them from spreading among the people. We must be an instrument to spread Jesus. All the people were praising God for what happened.
4. When the council warned not to speak in the name of Jesus, Peter and John replied, it is rather good to obey God than man – Acts 4:18,19.
Acts 5:28,29 – They filled Jerusalem with their teaching, so they made the made before the Sanhedrin and were questioned by the high priest. Our purpose and activity must be from God. No one will be able to stop us. They will find themselves fighting against God.
5. Acts 10:44 – “And yet while that Peter spake these words, the Holy Ghost felled on all that heard the word.”
Everyone who believes – receives forgiveness of sins through his name.
6. Acts 5:19,20 says that, when the apostles heal many people, crowds gathered from around Jerusalem – all were healed. So the high priest and his associates were filled with jealousy. They arrested and put them in jail but the Angel of the Lord opened and brought them out. Angel asked to stand in the temple courts and tell the people the full message of this new life.
7. Acts 12:7 says that, suddenly light shone in the prison. This is the glory of God for Peter when King Herod arrested and put Peter in the prison. But the night before the trail, the Angel of the Lord came and released Peter. So the chains fell off his wrists and Peter followed him out of the prison.